Cricket isn’t just a sport, especially when it comes to the World Cup. It’s a sentiment, a festival that binds millions. Over the years, brands have identified this immense potential and have crafted cricket campaigns that remain etched in our memories. Let’s rewind and celebrate the best brand campaigns that leveraged the hype of the Cricket World Cup- this is our list of the top 5 cricket campaigns ever.
1. Pepsi – "Change the Game" (2011)
In 2011, as the cricketing world geared up for the World Cup held in the subcontinent, brands aimed to capitalize on this massive event with innovative cricket campaigns. Pepsi, with its strong connection to youth and sports, decided not just to be a part of the conversation but to lead it. Thus, the “Change the Game” campaign was born.
Pepsi has always positioned itself as the drink of the young and the rebellious. With cricket being a sport that evokes immense passion, especially in countries like India, Pepsi aimed to merge the two worlds – the youthful rebellion and the love for sport in this iconic cricket campaign.
- Reinforce Pepsi’s image as a youth-centric brand.
- Create a significant brand recall during the Cricket World Cup.
- Showcase the innovative spirit of cricket, particularly from the streets of India.
The Youth Centric Cricket Campaign:
- Concept: The cricket campaign celebrated unorthodox shots and moves that were born in gullies and streets, like the ‘helicopter shot’ by M.S. Dhoni or the ‘uppercut’ by Virender Sehwag.
- Execution: Using star cricketers, the campaign had a series of ads showcasing these unique shots and attributing them as game-changers, in sync with Pepsi’s brand image.
- Tagline: The cricket campaign’s tagline “Change the Game” was not only about cricket but about challenging norms, reflecting Pepsi’s brand ethos.
- Viral Effect: The cricket campaign went viral, with many of the ad jingles and sequences becoming iconic. The “Change the Game” slogan became synonymous with the World Cup itself.
- Brand Recall: Pepsi achieved significant brand recall during the event, with this cricket campaign being one of the most remembered during the World Cup season.
- Cultural Impact: The campaign spotlighted the gully cricket culture, emphasizing that innovation could come from anywhere, even the streets. It celebrated the raw, unpolished side of the sport, resonating deeply with the masses.
See also: Career as a Cricketer.
2. Star Sports – "Mauka Mauka" (2015)
When the Cricket World Cup 2015 was on the horizon, every brand was strategizing to capture the attention of billions of fans. But Star Sports, with its “Mauka Mauka” cricket campaign, not only captured attention but also hearts, leaving an indelible mark on the viewers.
Star Sports, as the official broadcaster of the Cricket World Cup 2015, wanted a cricket campaign that would stir emotions and spike viewership. With the India-Pakistan match being one of the most anticipated events, the goal was to tap into the rich history and intense rivalry between the two nations on the cricket field.
- Amplify the excitement surrounding the India-Pakistan match and by extension, the entire Cricket World Cup.
- Increase viewership and engagement for Star Sports during the tournament.
- Evoke emotions, ensuring the cricket campaign resonates deeply with cricket fans.
The Exciting Cricket Campaign:
- Concept: The initial ad showcased a Pakistani cricket fan waiting since 1992 (when the two teams first met in a World Cup) for a chance (“mauka”) to celebrate a victory over India in the Cricket World Cup. Every time he gets ready to set off fireworks in celebration, his dreams are dashed by an Indian victory.
- Evolution: The cricket campaign evolved with different teams and scenarios, each capturing a unique story, but the theme remained consistent: the anticipation of a celebratory “mauka” that kept getting postponed.
- Tagline: “Mauka Mauka” became a chant, symbolizing the anticipation and spirit of the game.
Could you make the next viral Cricket Campaign?
Halfway through this list of the top cricket campaigns and you might be struck with inspiration! What ideas do you have to make a cricket campaign thats more than ad- it’s a phenomenon? Explore your advertising prowess with Clever Harvey’s JuniorMBA in Advertising with Domino’s. In just 15 hours, design and pitch an original video ad for Domino’s. Learn the strategic communication, creative thinking and presentation skills of an advertising pro.
3. Nissan – "#MomentsThatCount" (2016)
In 2016, as the fervor around cricket reached its peak with the T20 World Cup, Nissan embarked on a unique journey with the “#MomentsThatCount” campaign. They aimed to create a narrative that connected pivotal cricket moments with life’s significant milestones in this advertising cricket campaign.
Nissan, as an automotive giant looking to cement its footprint in cricket-loving regions, sought to bridge the passion for cricket with the emotional journey of life, emphasizing how every moment counts.
- Align Nissan with the spirit and passion of cricket, fostering a deep emotional connection with the audience through the cricket campaign.
- Engage viewers with relatable content that interweaves cricketing moments with life’s journeys.
- Enhance brand visibility and recall during the T20 Cricket World Cup.
The Iconic Cricket Campaign:
- Concept: The campaign juxtaposed thrilling moments in cricket, like a game-winning boundary or a crucial catch, with significant life events, such as a father witnessing the birth of his child or a young couple’s journey in a Nissan car.
- Storytelling: Using powerful visuals, the campaign told heartfelt stories where Nissan vehicles played integral roles in people’s life-defining moments, mirroring the excitement of cricket.
- Tagline: The hashtag “#MomentsThatCount” encapsulated the essence of the cricket campaign, emphasizing the importance of cherishing every moment.
- Emotional Resonance: By paralleling cricket’s adrenaline with life’s poignant moments, the cricket campaign resonated deeply, creating a lasting emotional impact.
- Brand Visibility: During the T20 World Cup, Nissan’s brand visibility skyrocketed, thanks to the cricket campaign’s reach and the conversations it sparked.
- Enhanced Engagement: The unique approach, diverging from typical cricket-centric ads, engaged viewers, making them revisit and share the campaign, leading to increased organic reach.
4. Hyundai – "Fan Anthem" (2019)
In the vibrant landscape of cricket advertising, Hyundai’s “Fan Anthem” stood out in 2019, not for celebrating the players but for turning the spotlight onto the true heroes behind the game in this cricket campaign: the fans.
Hyundai, with a significant market presence in cricket-loving countries, sought to strengthen its bond with its customer base. Recognizing that fans form the heartbeat of any sport, Hyundai decided to salute their unwavering passion during the Cricket World Cup 2019.
- Celebrate and recognize the dedication and passion of cricket fans.
- Align Hyundai’s brand ethos with the fervor and emotions of the World Cup.
- Enhance brand relatability and foster a deeper emotional connection with consumers via a atypical cricket campaign.
The Relatable Cricket Campaign:
- Concept: The “Fan Anthem” highlighted fans from various walks of life, from a young girl painting her face in her team’s colors to an elderly gentleman preparing to watch the match with his vintage radio. It showcased fans’ rituals, emotions, and the lengths they go to in supporting their teams.
- Execution: Through a series of heartwarming vignettes, the campaign beautifully captured the essence of fandom, emphasizing that while players come and go, fans remain the sport’s true constant.
- Tagline: the cricket campaigns slogan “Hyundai salutes the Spirit of Cricket Fans,” placing fans at the center of the narrative and reinforcing Hyundai’s recognition of their importance.
- Audience Resonance: The cricket campaign struck a chord with millions, not only because it celebrated cricket but because it celebrated every fan’s individual relationship with the sport.
- Brand Affinity: By positioning itself as a brand that understands and appreciates fans, Hyundai witnessed a growth in brand affinity during the World Cup.
- Social Engagement: The cricket campaign garnered significant traction on social media, with fans sharing their own anecdotes, rituals, and experiences, further amplifying the campaign’s reach.
5. Oppo – "Billion Beats" (2019)
Oppo’s “Billion Beats” was a remarkable testament to the collective heartbeat of a nation that breathes cricket. During the 2019 Cricket World Cup, while many brands were trying to find their voice amidst the cacophony, Oppo’s cricket campaign stood out, celebrating the unity of diverse India and its shared passion for cricket.
With an increasingly strong market presence in India, Oppo aimed to further solidify its connection with Indian consumers. Understanding the unifying spirit of cricket in India, Oppo sought to create a cricket campaign that resonated deeply with this emotion.
- Highlight Oppo’s commitment to and understanding of the Indian market.
- Capitalize on the fervor of the Cricket World Cup and enhance brand visibility.
- Establish an emotional connection with the audience, emphasizing unity in diversity.
The Emotional Campaign:
- Concept: “Billion Beats” was about capturing the heartbeats of a billion Indians echoing with excitement, hope, and passion during the World Cup.
- Execution: The cricket campaign artfully used visuals of diverse Indian populations, from the snowy terrains of the Himalayas to the bustling streets of Mumbai, all rhythmically synchronized to the palpable excitement of a cricket match. Every heartbeat, every cheer was seen as a part of a colossal, harmonious rhythm.
- Tagline: “For Young India,” underscoring Oppo’s focus on the youth and future of India via this emotional cricket campaign.
- Nationwide Resonance: The cricket campaign resonated deeply, with viewers recognizing and celebrating their shared love for cricket, irrespective of their diverse backgrounds.
- Brand Image: Oppo’s image as a brand that understands and resonates with the Indian ethos was strengthened.
- Increased Engagement: The cricket campaign’s unique take on the World Cup led to heightened social media engagement, with many consumers sharing their own “beats” and experiences, further elevating Oppo’s visibility during the event.