Do you dream of flying high all above the skies? Are you the one who is keen to know how the world of space science works? Since childhood, we all have come across the fantasizing world of stars and planets which made all of us starstruck and curious to know about how these great celestial bodies such as planets, comets, galaxies function.
While you might be wondering how endless this different world of exploration is, we have covered everything to help you make your dream of becoming a space scientist true.
Table of Contents
How to become a Space Scientist
Looking for an answer to what’s there for you if you become a Space Scientist? Since you are planning to become a space scientist, it might be important for you to know about various aspects of who are space scientists and what they do.
You might also require in-depth information about courses, colleges, and job profiles related to this career to plan in a better way. To simplify everything for you, we have covered in-depth insights that can act as a guide for you to become a space scientist.
Clever Harvey Insight
Becoming a space scientist requires your acumen for science and mathematics. If you are the one who takes an active interest in science then this career is perfect for you.
Who is a Space Scientist & what they do
Are you curious to know what Space scientists do? You might have seen in the movies like Star Trek how space scientists explore different planets and come to interesting conclusions and facts while researching for it. This is similar to how space scientists work in the real world.
A space scientist is one who actively takes part in researching and exploring varied fields of knowledge related to space, astronomy, planetary science, etc.
Generally, there are two kinds of space scientists, the ones who are physicists and others who are astronomers. The physicist works mostly in the areas of research in laboratories related to planetary sciences while astronomers are the ones who explore and research diverse aspects of space, stars, planets, etc.
How to become a Space Scientist after 12th in India
Are you planning to become a space scientist after 12th in India? In this section, we have covered all the information you need to know:
- If you are an aspiring Space Scientist then you must choose Science and Mathematics as your stream in Class 12th.
- After completing your school, you can plan to do courses like bachelor in technology, bachelor of science, or integrated programs to embark upon the journey of becoming a space scientist.
- Since Space Research is an advanced field, it is recommended that you plan masters after completing your bachelor’s degree or choose integrated programs.
List of courses to become a Space Scientist after 12th in India
Here is the list of courses which you can choose to become a Space Scientist after 12th in India:
- B.Tech in Avionics Engineering
- B.Tech in Aerospace Engineering
- B.Tech and M.S (Integrated Program)
- B.Tech and M.Tech in Engineering (Integrated Program)
- B.Tech. in Engineering Physics + M.S. in Astronomy. Solid State Physics, Earth System
Skills required to become a Space Scientist
To become a space scientist, you might need various skills to succeed in this career. Since it is an extensive and advanced field, you need to have good acumen for science and exploration to excel. Here is the list of skills that you should go through to become a space scientist:
- Analytical Skills: This skill requires you to be able to interpret and analyze data from varied sources. If you are the one who can align with the facts & data and interpret it then you should become a space scientist.
- Logical Thinking: Scientists do require a way of thinking logically. Being able to understand information and come up with the right conclusions is the ability that is required in the field of science. If you are good with logical thinking then you can ace any career in this field of space science.
- Problem Solving: These skills require finding an appropriate solution to challenges. If you want to become a space scientist then this is one of the prime skills you need to acquire to solve problems and find solutions innovatively.
- Strong Science Skills: Science is a core element of fields like space research, planetary science, and astronomy. If you want to excel in such fields, you should have a good grasp of concepts related to physics, mathematics, aerodynamics, etc.
- Critical thinking: If you want to be a space scientist, you must understand concepts of making claims, finding evidence, and accessing gathered data to frame your understanding and approach conclusions.
- Communication Skills: This is a skill that makes you presentable in front of others. If you are planning to become a space scientist you must work on honing your communication skills early in your education.
How to acquire skills to become a space scientist?
You might be looking for the answer to what is the process to acquire skills that are needed to become a space scientist. While there are varied skillsets and characteristics which might be needed, you can build essential skills such as cognitive thinking, decision making, communication skills, critical thinking, etc.
By enrolling in Clever Harvey Explorer Pack where you will get the right opportunities to learn these skills by doing real-life projects by PUMA, Samsonite, Infinity Cars, etc. The Clever Harvey is a career acceleration platform that helps teens to unleash their potential by letting them try out lucrative careers in the modern world.
How to become a Space Scientist at ISRO
Do you know about successful and famous Indian space missions like Chandrayaan and Mangalyaan? These missions are carried out by India’s own space research organization called ISRO (Indian Space Research Organisation). While being a national space agency of India, it plans, executes, and undertakes space missions that are holistically aimed towards space exploration, development, satellites, etc.
Key Facts to Become a Space Scientist at ISRO
|Educational Background Required||1. Requires PCM (Physics, Chemistry, Maths) in Class 12. |
2. B.Tech or B.Sc + Masters Degree in the relevant field of science
3. For Research, Ph.D. is an added advantage.
|How recruitment is done by ISRO||1. Recruitment is done by the Centralised Recruitment Board|
2. Jobs Notifications are released officially on the ISRO website or employment portal.
|Mode of Recruitment||1. Written Examination2. Interview3. Campus Placements from IISC and IIT.|
How to become a Space Scientist at NASA
The NASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration) is a prime space agency of the United States which carries out aeronautics and space research. While you might wish to work at NASA but factually it is not possible if you are not a US citizen.
As space research programs are of prime importance and security for any country, such limitations can be seen in this field. If you still want to know what kind of candidates make it to NASA, here are some of the points to help you.
|Educational Background Required||1. Strong foundations in Science.2. Masters in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) Courses.|
|Experience Required||2 years of professional experience in relevant field + ability to pass NASA Examination|
|Mode of Recruitment||Selection is done by NASA’s Astronaut Selection Board through the multi-level interview|
How to become a Space Scientist at SpaceX
No doubt that you might know about the famous man Elon Musk who is all over the internet for his popularity on bold innovative moves on space research, cryptocurrency, technology, and whatnot. While talking about Space X, it is one of the innovative and fastest-growing space startups that aim to disrupt the aeronautics industry.
If you are the one who wants to become a Space Scientist at SpaceX, here are a few key points that will help you understand what is required:
- You need a Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, math, or scientific discipline OR 2+ years of professional experience in related fields as required by the job profile.
- It will be an added advantage if you hold a Ph.D. or Master’s Degree in STEM or relevant fields.
Career as a Space Scientist (Job Opportunities)
If you are looking for a career as a Space Scientist, there is an endless number of jobs available for you if you hold the right experience. Here are some of the areas which are common in the field of space science:
- Astronomy: In the field of Astronomy, you can work on research projects to study stars, solar systems, planets, etc.
- Astronauts: If you are interested in going out to explore all in space this is a perfect match for you. Just remember, that you need vast experience and flight experience before reaching the level to become an astronaut.
- Space Research: Astrophysics, biophysicists, geoscientists are some of the job profiles in space science where you work as a space scientist.
Salary of Space Scientist
Here is the table to help you with the average salary of top space organizations:
|NASA||$1,17,864 per year (Source: Glassdoor)|
|SpaceX||$109k – $386k per year (Source: Payscale)|
|ISRO (Indian Space Research Organisation)||₹80,000-90,000 per month (Source: Glassdoor)|
College or Courses to become a Space Scientist (Around the world) after 12th
Here is the table to help you with the kind of courses you might need to pursue to become a Space Scientist:
|Degree Courses||Bachelor’s and Masters of Science in Maths, Physics, Astrophysics, Astronomy, Space Physics, Earth and Space Science, etc.|
|Engineering Courses||B.Tech or M.Tech in Avionics, Aeronautics, Aerospace Engineering, Space Systems Engineering, etc.|
|P.hD Courses||P.hD in Astronomy, Physics, and Mathematics|
|Branches for Specialisation||Aerospace, Aeronautical, Rocket Science, Space Science, Geology, Astrophysics|
Are you looking for colleges around the world to become a space scientists? Refer to this list below:
Top Colleges in India to Become a Space Scientist
|Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore|
|Indian Institute of Science Education and Research|
|Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology, Kerala|
|Aryabhatta Research Institute of Observational Sciences, Nainital|
|Raman Research Institute, (Bangalore)|
|Indian Institutes of Science Education and Research|
|Pune Physical Research Laboratory|
Top Colleges in Abroad to Become a Space Scientist
If you are an Indian who wants to go abroad and study, you can take SAT Exam and apply for the universities listed below:
|Embry- Riddle Aeronautical University, USA|
|University of Bath, UK|
|University of Southampton, UK|
|University College Dublin, Ireland|
|Stevens Institute of Technology, USA|
|University of Leicester, UK|
Why become a Space Scientist
Ever dreamt to work in the indifferent world of space and exploration? If you are an astrophile and hook on this amazing world since your childhood days then becoming a space scientist can be a lucrative career option for you.
As the efforts for space research are increasing year by year and various discoveries and missions are happening proactively, this makes it the right time for you to venture into the ever-growing field of space research and astronomy. The private players and innovators such as Elon Musk, Richard Branson, Jeff Bezos, and other billionaires are also pouring in great money on Space programs which open doors for endless possibilities.
By becoming a space scientist, you will be able to work on building rockets, planning & discovery, research, and lots more. In today’s world, you can venture into the world of space science as both government and private organizations are taking an active interest to unleash the secrets of the indifferent world.
Is becoming a Space Scientist good for you?
Are you wondering whether being a Space Scientist is a great career for you? While this is one of the noblest professions in the 21st century, it is something that will take you miles in your career. If you are the one who is good at science and maths, then this will be an added advantage for you to be in this field.
What is required and expected from a Space Scientist?
If you are a science freak then you might know how rockets are built and sent to space. As there are a lot of efforts that go in back of the process of building rockets, it is something that requires a lot of fundamental knowledge and concepts related to various subjects like mathematics and physics. If you are good at these areas then you are a perfect fit to become a space scientist:
Is Space Scientist a perfect field for you to choose as a career?
- You read a lot of books related to space, the universe, and science.
- You are keen to explore the solar system and how planets work.
- You are the one fond of amazing celestial activities like meteor showers, space station tracking, stargazing, etc.
- You are fanatical about how rockets are built and what they do once it is sent to space.
Now you might be wondering what you will work on if you become a space scientist? Here are some areas to help you understand the role of space scientists precisely.
- Research, Analyse, Collect & Interpret Data from Space: Do you know what does orbiters do once sent to space? They carry devices that collect samples and send data back to the earth which space scientists use to analyze and interpret data from various planets such as Mars and the moon.
- Work on interesting theories & information: Do you know that humans can live on mars? While there are a lot of interesting facts like this, space scientists study and research mystical concepts. They work on finding conclusions through theories to convey interesting facts and information about planets.
- Being a part of the Space Mission Team: You might be aware that there are a lot of space shuttles, orbiters, and rockets that are sent to space for research and exploration. In such missions, there is a dedicated team of space scientists and researchers who work from scratch to finish to meet the goals of the mission. The goals can be finding the kind of soil, habitat system, nature of resources, etc.
What we should do to become space scientists?
If you are looking to become a Space Scientist, you must pursue Science and Maths in class 12th. Since the job profiles and careers in this field are purely science-based, you need to think about doing a bachelor’s and masters in the same area.
What stream should I choose to become a space scientist?
You should choose the Science stream with Maths and Physics as the primary subjects to become a space scientist.
What is the qualification needed to become a Space Scientist in ISRO?
To be a Space Scientist in ISRO, you need a bachelor’s and master’s degree in Science or Engineering background. It is an added advantage if you also pursue P.H.D as it will make you more capable to be a part of such a prestigious organization.
How do you become a space scientist after the 12th?
Once you have passed your Class 12th with Science stream, you can choose to either do B. Tech or B.S.C in relevant fields like physics, astronomy, space science, etc. You can also choose to do an integrated degree of B.S.C+M.S.C which is of 5 years.
Is it hard to become a space scientist?
If you want to become a space scientist, it is sure that you need to put in hard work and make yourself academically strong in a STEM background. Good hold on science foundations along with a great academic record can help you become a space scientist.