Do you want to know why we look the way we do? Do you want to explore the world of DNA and the science behind it all? Are you someone who seeks revelation?
Then a career as a Geneticist is perfect for you. This blog will walk you through 4 simple steps on how to become a geneticist, as well as courses, colleges, and salaries in various countries.
Who is a Geneticist?
A geneticist is someone who studies how genes interact with one another and how they behave in different organisms. A geneticist’s responsibilities include solving the mysteries of heredity. A geneticist works in agriculture and criminal justice, and their job entails research.
Learn more: How To Become A Neurologist? Detailed Guide
How to become a Geneticist (4-step guide)
Step 1: Stream to select
Step 2: Educational Requirements to become Geneticist
Undergraduate Courses After 12th in India
All the programs mentioned below are of 3 years duration.
- B.Sc in Biology
- B.Sc in Microbiology
- B.Sc in Bioengineering
- B.Sc in Biochemistry
- B.Sc in Biomedical Engineering
- B.Sc in Biotechnology
- B.Sc in Genetics
Top Colleges to become Geneticist in India
|The Oxford College of Science
|National Institute of Technology
|Guru Nanak Institute of Pharmaceutical Science and Technology
|Sathyabama Institute of Science and Technology
|Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER)
|Vellore Institute of Technology
|JSS Academy of Higher Education and Research
|Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology
Undergraduate Courses to become a geneticist abroad
All the programs mentioned below are of 3-4 years duration. To get admission abroad you will also need to appear in exams like SAT, ACT, IELTS, Tofel etc.
- BS in Biology- Genetics and Evolution
- BS in Biology- Genetics
- BS in Molecular Genetics
- BS in Biological Sciences- Genetics, Cell and Development
- BS in Genomics and Molecular Genetics
- BS in Diagnostic Genetics Science
- BS in Genetics, Genomics and Biotechnology
- Top Colleges abroad
|Massachusetts Institute of Technology
|University of Toronto
|University of Montreal
|Michigan State University
|Ohio State University
|National University of Singapore
|Iowa State University
|University of Rochester
|New York, US
Also Read – How to become Biotechnology Researcher in India
Step 3: Certification courses
- American Board of Genetic Counseling (ABGC)
- Board of Genetic Counseling (BCG)
- Certificate Course in Genetic Counselling
- Professional Certificate Program in Genetic Counselling
- Human Gene Therapy
Step 4: Job Preparation
An internship exposes you to the types of work that Geneticists do on a daily basis. Internships can also help you stand out when applying to graduate programmes, especially if you lack relevant professional experience.
As a Geneticist, you can work in settings such as health organizations, research institutes and Agricultural sectors, or you can consider becoming a clinical Geneticist.
Try your hand at entrepreneurship with the JuniorMBA Program in Entrepreneurship, and learn all about creating a business plan and budgeting for a private clinic if you want to pursue Genetic Counselling or Therapy.
- Portfolio Creation
Develop a strong portfolio by taking on internships and freelance work. Make a record of your research and gather all of your certifications so that you can be considered a viable candidate.
5 Skills needed to become a Geneticist
- Emotional Intelligence
- Research Skills
- Problem Solving Skills
- Analytical Skills
Salary of a Geneticist in India
An average salary of a Geneticist is around ₹4 lakh per annum.
Salary of a Geneticist Abroad
Also read: How to become a Cyber Forensics Expert
Top Recruiters in India
- Institute for Stem Cell Science and Regenerative Medicine (inStem)
- National Human Genome Research Institute (NHGRI)
- Tata Institute for Genetics and Society (TIGS)
- National Institute for Research in Reproductive and Child Health (NIRRCH)
- National Institute of Cancer Prevention and Research (NICPR)
- Centre for Human Genetics (CHG)
- National Institute of Immunohematology (NIIH)
- International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology (ICGEB)
- Institute of Genomics and Integrative Biology (IGIB)
- Cancer Genetics Inc (CGI)
- National Institute of Immunology (NII)
Top Recruiters Abroad
- The Centre for Applied Genomics (TCAG)
- Translational Genomics Research Institute (TGen)
- Genetic Information Research Institute (GIRI)
- Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research
- New York Genome Center (NYGC)
- National Center for Genome Resources
- The Genome Analysis Centre (TGAC)
- Research Centre for Medical Genetics (RCMG)
- Genome Institute of Singapore (GIS)
- National Institute of Genetics
- Wellcome Centre for Human Genetics
- American Society of Gene & Cell Therapy (ASGT)
A genetics grad has a huge array of career options available to them. The demand for geneticists is increasing as in today’s world medicines are tailored according to one’s DNA. Starting a career path to become a Geneticist is going to be cumbersome but it will give you a rewarding future.
FAQs related to how to become a Geneticist
What qualifications do you need to become a geneticist?
To become a geneticist one needs a postgraduate degree in genetics, biochemistry or bioengineering.
How many years does it take to become a geneticist?
Becoming a board-certified geneticist would take 8 years which includes completing your degree and obtaining a certificate.
Is genetics a good career?
A genetics grad has a huge array of career options available to them. They can work in different fields and industries. Like the health care industry, agricultural sector and research institutes.
Is a geneticist a doctor?
There are doctors who are specialized in genetic study.
What is a DNA doctor called?
A geneticist is a medical professional who specializes in the study of genetics, DNA, and heredity. They comprehend gene interaction, evolution, and its function.
Are geneticists in demand?
Yes, they are in high demand as there is a lot of study being conducted in the world of DNA and genetics.
Is genetics hard to study?
It is a difficult field and requires high dexterity, research, and analytical skills.
What is the highest paying job in genetics?
The highest paying job as a geneticist is clinical geneticist, geneticist researcher, and geneticist analyst respectively.
What degree do you need to work in genetics?
You must have a medical degree or a PhD in a biology-related field. To become a geneticist, you must also have years of work experience.